Thursday, May 27, 2010

Big Boy (and Girl!)

My kids recognize a Starbucks emblem as readily as I identified the McDonald's arches when I was a kid.  It's a sign of our generation.  I don't mind, I suppose.  Given the choice, I'd rather they grow up drinking three dollar coffees than eating thousand calorie meals.  Still, it cracks me up when we pull into a parking lot and Abby says, "Thehr's Stahr-bucks!" like she's hit the jackpot, as she did this afternoon after lunch.

We unloaded to walk in, and Ben, who has a renewed interest in his little wallet full of allowance money, asked if he could please pay for their "special milk."

Who am I to argue with that?

So when we approached the counter inside, he walked up and, after asking me for a reminder of how to order their drink, said confidently, "Can I please have a grande milk with one pump of raspberry syrup?"  Though she could barely hear him, the lady behind the counter smiled her encouragement and passed his order on to the barista.

"One dollar and nineteen cents," she informed him, and with a little coaching from me, he carefully identified the requisite dollar bill and two dimes, handed them over the counter with pride, and received his penny in change.  "You're a big boy now, aren't you?" she said, still smiling at his sweet independence.

As if on cue, Little Miss Sunshine next to me chimed in a voice audible to the whole shop, "Ih'm gwow-ing, tooh!" as she bounced up and down.

My soul bounced all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin